Tips to “Pet Proof” Your Home

  • Please note2note that Corks Critter Care is not a veterinary service. We do not diagnose. The following is offered for your information only.  If you suspect your pet has been in contact with a dangerous substance, please contact your                     veterinarian.

 

  • Household cleansers, furniture polishes, disinfectants, insecticides, antifreeze, fertilizers, perfumes, and make up can be dangerous to dogs.  Make sure cupboards and storage areas (garage) containing these items are secure. A bored or determined dog can go “where no dog has gone before.”
  • Make sure dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and oven are closed.
  • Throw out plastic bags, aluminum foil and food wrappers. If swallowed, they can cause damage to a pet’s digestive tract or in some cases, cause shock and death.
  • Make sure your toilet lid is down.
  • See that medications are locked up. The sound of pills rattling in a plastic bottle may entice the pet to chew the bottle open.
  • Unplug electrical cords and place them out of a pet’s reach. Dangling cords look like toys.
  • Remove candy or nuts from coffee tables or locations where a pet can reach it. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and nuts can be dangerous as well.
  • If moth balls are used, keep areas where they are off limits to pets.
  • Check to see that any hobby supplies, i.e., paints, glue, needles and thread, etc., have been placed away from an inquisitive pet’s reach.
  • Double check that the garbage can is secure. They contain delicious surprises of which some can be life threatening, i.e., chicken bones, foil food wrapper, batteries, etc.
  • Is the fence secure and is the gate locked?
  • Put all dangerous plants outside of a pet’s reach.
  • If you think a pet has been poisoned, try to identify the substance and notify a veterinarian at once and get medical attention.
  • To prepare in advance, keep the proper first aid supplies on hand and know the correct dosages for your pets.